[INDOLOGY] Fw: Maps of Tibet during different Dalai Lamas

Matthew Kapstein mkapstei at uchicago.edu
Thu May 30 16:16:48 UTC 2019

Dear Dr. Sravana Borkataky-Varma,

I believe that the construction of maps for the period prior to the Gushri Khan's consolidation of Central Tibetan power in 1642 would be hazardous - the fact is that the whole Tibetan region was a patchwork of local regimes whose territorial limits are not well understood. After 1642 mapping can be by no means exact (for instance, the Fifth Dalai Lama's government was pretending that it had authority in regions such as Baltistan, in which Central Tibetan governments had not exercised power since the 9th century).

Some years ago Wisdom Publications, I believe, used a range of maps from the 19th c. on to illustrate its annual calendar - you may wish to check with them to see if that is still available.

good luck,

Matthew Kapstein
Directeur d'études,
Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes

Numata Visiting Professor of Buddhist Studies,
The University of Chicago