[INDOLOGY] Concept of virya?

Andrew Nicholson andrew.nicholson at stonybrook.edu
Sun May 19 19:32:07 UTC 2019

Dear learned colleagues,

I was wondering if anyone might recommend studies of the concept of *vīra *or
*vīrya* in South Asian history. I am familiar with Jarrod Whitaker's book,
but was especially interested in how this term was later transformed by
renouncer traditions.

And, even better, has anyone looked at this concept's development in S.
Asia in comparison with the cognate terms *vir* and *virtus* in European
antiquity?

Many thanks,
Andrew

Andrew J. Nicholson, Ph.D.
Associate Professor (on leave 2018-2019)
Asian & Asian American Studies
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794-5343  USA
(631) 632-4030

Visiting Associate Professor and Stewart Fellow (2018-2019)
Department of Religion
Princeton University
Princeton, NJ 08544  USA
(609) 258-4485