[INDOLOGY] Udagagni

Martin Gansten martingansten at gmail.com
Fri May 17 15:23:54 UTC 2019

Dear Walter,

Thank you for the KGS excerpt. From the general tenor of the
Hāyanasundara (which contains no other ritual references), though, I
would be surprised if this /udagagni/ turned out to refer to any sort of
ritual fire. It is tempting to emend the text (I can think of several
neat solutions), but all witnesses agree in reading /codagagni-/. All
witnesses, that is, of the text *quoting *from the Hāyanasundara -- the
only witness I have of the Hāyanasundara itself suggests a copyist
having succumbed to the emendation urge and reads, unmetrically,
/caurāgne ripor api/.

Robbers, fire, enemies, violence, evil passions, fever, and disorders of
bile and blood are all typical astrological significations of an
ill-placed Mars. The thunder and lightning mentioned in the present
verse is unusual, though, and I wondered if perhaps /udagagni /could be
some other natural phenomenon of this kind, but if so, I can't think
what. (Northern lights would be neat, but for one thing you don't get
them in India, and for another they're not dangerous.)

Cheers,
Martin

PS: I haven't forgotten about that Harṣa paper. Soon, I hope...