[INDOLOGY] Udagagni

Martin Gansten martingansten at gmail.com
Fri May 17 11:37:46 UTC 2019

I wonder if anyone has come across the word /udagagni/, or some other
compound meaning 'northern/upward fire', other than in the ritual
context of sacrificial fires? I am not at all sure what it means, but it
is mentioned (in the astrological work Hāyanasundara, v. 166) together
with lightning and thunder (and enemies):

syāt ketuyutadṛṣṭaś cet kujo vidyudbhayaṃkaraḥ | syān meghagarjanād
bhītiś codagagniripor api ||

(The Sanskrit of the HS is not very elegant, and I don't think
/udagagniripoḥ /is anything more complicated than a dvandva, despite the
singular inflection. It could even be a scribal error för /udagagne[ḥ]
ripoḥ/.)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Martin Gansten