Re: [INDOLOGY] Formations of the ghanāghana type

Stefan Baums baums at lmu.de
Sun May 12 10:55:33 UTC 2019

Dear Martin,

> The ghanāghana type with lengthened ā (or, once, ū) and an
> intensive meaning. The examples cited by traditional grammarians
> seem all (?) to be directly derived from a verbal root (even,
> /pace /Renou §147, vadāvada?).

there are also examples combining two nouns, at least in Buddhist
texts. BHSD has

  phalāphala ‘all manner of fruits’

(so also in Pali).

A first‐century‐CE Gāndhārī commentary that I am working on

   https://gandhari.org/a_manuscript.php?catid=CKM0005

in discussing a variant of the Pali verse

   parovarā yassa samecca dhammā
   vidhūpitā atthagatā na santi
   sa vedagū vusitabrahmacariyo
   lokantagū pāragato ti vucati

(AN II 6.19–23) that can be reconstructed as follows

   ⌜bhavabhava⌝ (yas̱a sameca) ⌜dharma⌝
   ⌜vidhuvida⌝ ⌜astagada na sati⌝
   ⌜sa vedago⌝ ⌜vuṣ̱idavo bramacarya⌝
   ⌜log⌝⌜atao⌝ ⌜paragado⌝ (di vucadi)

explains the first word as follows:

   *bhavabhava* · ⟨bhava⟩ bhava ceva vuta bhavati · yas̱a
   phalaphala phala phala ceva vucati

   ‘*bhavabhava*: existences and more existences are spoken of,
   like (in the case of) phalaphala: fruits and more fruits are
   spoken of.’

All best,
Stefan

--