[INDOLOGY] Non-standard sandhi

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Mon Mar 18 20:05:54 UTC 2019

Dear Harry,

     You have raised an interesting question.  The term *avagraha *is used
in older texts like the Prātiśākhyas and Śikṣās to refer to a pause between
members of compounds in the Padapāṭha, and some texts like the
Śaunakīya-Caturādhyāyikā (3.3.35: ऋगर्धर्चपदान्तावग्रहविवृत्तिषु मात्राकाल:
काल:) assign the duration of a *mātrā *to this type of *avagraha*.  The
written sign of *avagraha *(ऽ) in later times got extended to cases like
ततोऽपि and एतेऽपि, and yet I have not seen evidence for this extension in
any of the phonetic texts, and to my knowledge there is no actual pause in
recitation in these cases.  Such a pause would create difficulties with the
meters.  How, when and why the term *avagraha *and the written sign (ऽ) got
extended to such uses needs to be investigated.  But it has no phonetic
value as far as I know.

Madhav

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus