[INDOLOGY] Non-standard sandhi

Martin Gansten martingansten at gmail.com
Sun Mar 17 19:10:15 UTC 2019

I have a question for the vaiyākaraṇas among us (who may find it very
basic, in which case I apologize in advance):

In the /Tājikayogasudhānidhi /of Yādavasūri (fl. possibly early 17th
century, possibly in or near Gujarat) there occurs the following stanza
(12.15), the form of which is corroborated by several independent witnesses:

janmalagnapatir uttamavīryo yadgṛhe januṣi tatra ca dṛṣṭe |
tena vā _sahita asya_ ca labdhis tad yathāṅgasukham abdatanau syāt ||

(As the meaning is quite technical, I give my translation: 'If the house
in which the ruler of the ascendant of the nativity is [placed] with
excellent strength in the nativity is aspected or joined by that [ruler,
there is] attainment of [the matter signified by] that [house]: for
example, [if it is placed] in the ascendant of the year, there will be
pleasures of the body.')

 From the context, the underlined phrase clearly stands for sahite +
asya, with e > a. While this is standard sandhi before other vowels, I
have never come across it before a. Is there a traditional rule that
allows for  this?

Best wishes,
Martin Gansten