[INDOLOGY] Clarification of list etiquette

Koenraad Elst koenraad.elst at gmail.com
Sun Jun 30 15:50:15 UTC 2019

Dear listfolk,

Oh well. The coda about "condescending" in my last mail was not too
serious, as the preceding sentence ought to make clear. But I guess it was
no time for jest given the debating context and the sizable amounts of
hostility. Yes, hostility, for calling it "kindness" or "human
fellow-feeling" would now count as unacceptable satire. OK, point taken.

I should have known, for earlier in the mail I mentioned my own prediction,
based on past experiences, that attacks on me typically start a pattern
where they get completely ignored and accepted, even explicitly supported,
though obviously in violation of list rules. They are not at all weighed by
the criterion whether they are acceptable in a conference hall, face to
face; whereas anything I then say in defence is put under the microscope to
find some pretext for bending or changing list rules to oust or at any rate
silence me. And that is exactly what is playing out now.

When signing that petition in favour of freedom of speech, back in Zürich
in 2014, then particularly for Wendy Doniger, I couldn't help thinking:
many of these signatories are only in favour of free speech in the same way
as Hitler and Stalin were, viz. in favour of free speech for their own, and
to hell with it for the Other. I would very much like to be proven wrong
about that.

Best regards,

Dr. Koenraad Elst