Re: [INDOLOGY] Brahmā in early Vedic materials?

Bill Mak bill.m.mak at gmail.com
Sun Jun 23 22:02:13 UTC 2019

Dear Jan,

The discussion of 27 vs 28 described by Lanman as "a moot point” was indeed discussed by Whitney. My understanding is that 28 nakṣatras were found in much earlier saṃhitās such as the Taittirīya (4.4.10) and the Maitrayāṇi (2.13.20). This was my point about the interpolation.

Many have written about the Chinese 28 xiu-s (lunar lodges) and the nakṣatras. A good place to start would be Needham’s Science and Civilisation in China. Vol. 3. Mathematics and the Sciences of the Heavens and the Earth. Yano has a concise and useful discussion is his book “Esoteric Buddhist Astrology” (p. 62-64 of English trans. just published this year).

Best regards,

Bill

--
Bill M. Mak

Yoshidahonmachi, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8501
Japan
〒606-8501 京都市左京区吉田本町
京都大学人文科学研究所

Tel:+81-75-753-6961
Fax:+81-75-753-6903

copies of my publications may be found at:
http://www.billmak.com <http://www.billmak.com/>
http://kyoto-u.academia.edu/BillMak