Re: [INDOLOGY] Kampil/Kāmpilya

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 10:24:52 UTC 2019

There is a Kampli in Karnataka too:

http://villagemap.in/karnataka/koppal/koppal/602500.html

On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 2:03 PM Gaia Pintucci via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Dear list members,
>
> I would like to know more about the identification of present-day Kampil
> (Uttar Pradesh) with the town named Kāmpilya that is mentioned in the
> Mahābhārata. In particular, I am wondering to which extent such
> identification is supported by past and current scholarship and on which
> grounds, apart from the similarity of the two names.
> The relevant entry in Ghosh' *Encyclopaedia of Indian Archaeology* refers
> to one of Alexander Cunningham's report - this is all I could find so far.
>
> In case, I would be grateful for any relevant references or suggestions.
>
> Best wishes,
> Gaia Pintucci

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

Director,  Inter-Gurukula-University Centre for Indic Knowledge Systems.
BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra

BoS, Chinmaya Vishwavidyapeeth, Veliyanad, Kerala

(Pune, Maharashtra, INDIA )