[INDOLOGY] Kampil/Kāmpilya

Gaia Pintucci gaiapintucci at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 08:32:27 UTC 2019

Dear list members,

I would like to know more about the identification of present-day Kampil
(Uttar Pradesh) with the town named Kāmpilya that is mentioned in the
Mahābhārata. In particular, I am wondering to which extent such
identification is supported by past and current scholarship and on which
grounds, apart from the similarity of the two names.
The relevant entry in Ghosh' *Encyclopaedia of Indian Archaeology* refers
to one of Alexander Cunningham's report - this is all I could find so far.

In case, I would be grateful for any relevant references or suggestions.

Best wishes,
Gaia Pintucci