Re: [INDOLOGY] Mahāvastu questions

David and Nancy Reigle dnreigle at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 21:01:34 UTC 2019

Dear Valerie,

On your question no. 2, the scan of the J. J. Jones translation that I made
and posted is searchable:

http://prajnaquest.fr/downloads/BookofDzyan/Sanskrit%20Buddhist%20Texts/mahavastu_vol_one_1949_eng.pdf
http://prajnaquest.fr/downloads/BookofDzyan/Sanskrit%20Buddhist%20Texts/mahavastu_vol_two_1952_eng.pdf
http://prajnaquest.fr/downloads/BookofDzyan/Sanskrit%20Buddhist%20Texts/mahavastu_vol_three_1956_eng.pdf

On your question no. 3, Jones inserted the page numbers of the Senart
edition into his translation, so that is the easiest way to correlate the
two.

On your question no. 4, I do not have Basak's edition, but when I examined
it at a library I noted that it is based on or copied from Senart's
edition. He added a Bengali translation.

Glad that someone else already answered no. 1, with a link to the online
searchable Sanskrit text at GRETIL. As you know, and as noted here by
Seishi Karashima on May 16, a new (and much improved) edition is coming out
shortly:

*The Mahāvastu: A New Edition*, vol. III, ed. by Katarzyna Marciniak
(Bibliotheca Philologica et Philosophica Buddhica XIV,1)

ISBN 978-4-904234-18-1.

A PDF file will soon be made available at the following link:
http://iriab.soka.ac.jp/en/publication/bppb.html

Best regards,

David Reigle
Colorado, U.S.A.