Re: [INDOLOGY] Mahāvastu questions

Arlo Griffiths arlogriffiths at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 15 17:50:04 UTC 2019

Dear Valerie,

Might I suggest you read the following:

Tournier, Vincent. 2012. “The Mahāvastu and the Vinayapiṭaka of the Mahāsāṃghika-Lokottaravādin.” Annual Report of the International Research Institute for Advanced Buddhology at Soka University for the Academic Year 2011 15: 87–104.
———. 2017. La formation du Mahāvastu et la mise en place des conceptions relatives à la carrière du bodhisattva. Monographies 195. Paris: École française d’Extrême-Orient.

You will learn among many other things that Mahāvastu-Avadāna is not a correct designation of the text.

Best wishes,

Arlo Griffiths