[INDOLOGY] Question: How is Sanskrit is taught at Western Universities?

Tieken, H.J.H. H.J.H.Tieken at hum.leidenuniv.nl
Fri Jun 7 07:05:51 UTC 2019

There is the following story about Gonda and his student van Buitenen. When van Buitenen, as a prospective student of Sanskrit, asked Gonda about the study program(me), Gonda advised him to have a look at the grammar himself. Van Buitenen returned the same afternoon, saying he had finished the grammar, after which they started reading Sanskrit texts. It is one of the many stories Bodewitz used to tell us students about Gonda.

Herman Tieken
Stationsweg 58
2515 BP Den Haag
The Netherlands