[INDOLOGY] grammar question

François Patte francois.patte at mi.parisdescartes.fr
Sun Jul 28 10:16:10 UTC 2019

Le 28/07/2019 à 07:45, adheesh sathaye a écrit :
> Dear François,
>
> Do you know what text the passage is from? Without any context it
> appears to me to be a combinatoric discussion within a musicological
> text (ṣaḍja and ṛṣabha being the first two svaras, and a prastāra being
> a permutation matrix).

Yes, it is from Saṃgītaratnākara in the Siṃhabhūpala'commentary on how
to construct the permutations of the seven notes.

My question is about the use of ablative and na which is used in this
passage  with words which are not numerals. Grammarians give always
examples of this construction only with numerals which can be understood
as "not twenty (far) from one" ie. nineteen.

But here it cannot translated like this (no prastāra from ṛṣabha)
because in the prastāra, given in extenso, there are many lines
beginning by ṛṣabha.

Here is the full passage (with, I hope) a correct translation):

  tatra dṛṣṭāntārthaṃ catuḥsvaraḥ prastāraḥ pradarśyate---
Here, for an example the comprehensive extension for four notes is exposed.

  sarigameti pūrvaṃ kramaḥ saṃsthāpyaḥ|
The serie sa, ri, ga, ma is to be at first put down.

  ṣaḍjasya adhastāt_pūrvasvarābhāvāt_svaro na sthāpyate|
  ṛṣabhasya tv_adhastāt_tatpūrvaḥ ṣaḍjo deyaḥ| uparigau
  gāṃdhāramadhyamau puro deyau| avaśiṣṭa ṛṣabhaḥ
  paścād_deyaḥ| evaṃ risagameti dvitīyo bhedaḥ|
Because there is no preceding note below ṣaḍja, no note is placed. But
below ṛṣabha, ṣaḍja, which precedes it, must be put. Gāndhāra and
madhyama which are beyond, must be put forward. The remaining ṛṣabha
must be put backward. The second variety is such: ri, sa, ga, ma.

  tata ṛṣabhasya adhastāt_ṣaḍjo deyatvenāsīt| sa copary_agre
  vartate| tena ṛṣabhān_na prastāraḥ|
Then, ṣaḍja was in the state of being put under ṛṣabha, but it is in
that state at the beginning above. Thus: *"ṛṣabhān_na prastāraḥ"*

The prastāra construction goes like this:

sa ri ga ma
ri sa ga ma
sa ga ri ma
ga sa ri ma
ri sa ga ma

So, I am wondering what is this grammatical construction na+ablative and
what is the meaning of the word prastāra in this sentence which
(obviously?) deny the fact to have two identical lines in the prastāra
(here the meaning is "comprehensive extension")

Hoping to be clear enough!

Regards

--
François Patte