Re: [INDOLOGY] {भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्} Re: HRR Iyengar Manuscript help

David and Nancy Reigle dnreigle at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 16:36:17 UTC 2019

The second page of the three given by Prof. Pandurangi is almost certainly
the first page of an English translation of Louis de La Vallee Poussin's
French translation from Chinese of Xuanzang's Vijñaptimātratāsiddhi,
titled: Vijñaptimātratāsiddhi, La Siddhi de Hiuan-tsang, volume 1, 1928. We
may be fairly sure of this because the homage verse was written by Xuanzang
(or Hsuan-tsang or Hiuan-tsang), but the following notes were written by
Poussin.

This English translation by H. H. R. Iyengar was never published as far as
I know. Much later, Poussin's French translation was translated into
English by Ani Migme, and was formerly available on the web. It is now
being published by Motilal Banarsidass. Also, the English translation by
Wei Tat, titled: Ch'eng Wei-shih Lun, The Doctrine of Mere Consciousness,
is said to be a translation of Poussin's French translation, but I have not
checked this. The book itself does not say so. Lastly, the same Chinese
text was translated directly into English by Francis Cook and published as:
Three Texts on Consciousness Only, in the BDK English Tripitaka series,
1999.

Xuanzang's treatise is said to be a composite Chinese translation of ten
Indian commentaries on Vasubandhu's Vijñaptimātratāsiddhi Triṃśikā.
However, it draws primarily on Dharmapāla's commentary, and secondarily on
Sthiramati's commentary, often contrasting. Xuanzang in his many years of
study in India was a student of Śīlabhadra, who was a student of Dharmapāla.
So his treatise naturally favors the interpretations of Dharmapāla.

Best regards,

David Reigle
Colorado, U.S.A.