Re: [INDOLOGY] Mahabharata referenes in Böhtlingk Roth

Jonathan Silk kauzeya at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 15:11:03 UTC 2019

Following up this thread: I was aware of the MBh references in PW, but what
I have been unable to pin down is what is referred to as the scolia. I
assumed it to refer to Nīlakaṇṭha, but in the event I was unable to locate
the passage I needed (eventually, I confess, I gave up and just cited PW
itself...)

Jonathan

On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 2:58 PM Lubomír Ondračka via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Dear Harry,
>
> PW was published in 1855–75, so it could not use Roy's edition published
> in 1883–1896.
>
> PW references to MBh are to the first complete edition prepared by Bengali
> pandits in Calcutta and published by various publishers in 1834-39 in four
> volumes. This edition counts verses continuously within each parvan.
> Although Roy's edition is based on it, it is different. Roy has used
> another Bengali edition (1863, so called Burdwan edition) and several
> manuscripts.
>
> So to identify a particular verse quoted in PW, one have to look in the
> original Calcutta edition (1834-39).
>
> Best,
> Lubomir
>

> On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 20:50:04 -0500
> Harry Spier via INDOLOGY <indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>
> > Would that be the edition by Pradap Chandra Roy, Calcutta, 1899.
> >
> > If so, then I've got the link from archive.org
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Harry Spier
> >
> > On Sun, Feb 24, 2019 at 8:41 PM Madhav Deshpande <mmdesh at umich.edu>
> wrote:
> >
> > > If I am not mistaken, B-R refer to the Calcutta edition of the
> Mahābhārata
> > > that predates the BORI critical edition.  Tokunaga's version is the
> > > digitization of the BORI edition.
> > >
> > > Madhav
> > >
> > > Madhav M. Deshpande
> > > Professor Emeritus
> > > Sanskrit and Linguistics
> > > University of Michigan
> > > [Residence: Campbell, California]

> in the
> For

J. Silk
Leiden University
Leiden University Institute for Area Studies, LIAS
Matthias de Vrieshof 3, Room 0.05b
2311 BZ Leiden
The Netherlands

copies of my publications may be found at
https://leidenuniv.academia.edu/JASilk