[INDOLOGY] The Story of Sanskrit (for Women and Non-Brahmins)

Ananya Vajpeyi vajpeyi at csds.in
Thu Feb 21 09:43:50 UTC 2019

Dear Shri Varakhedi,

Thanks for your notice below. I haven't had a chance to watch the videos
yet, but I would like to do so and to respond once I have seen and heard
the women scholars you say spoke in Udupi at your function.

You and your colleagues at the BVP deserve to be acknowledged for taking
very seriously the discussion on caste and gender in Sanskrit Studies
initiated in Vancouver last summer. It's heartening that you identified and
invited women scholars, from different parts of India and belonging to
diverse social backgrounds, to share their experiences and learning with a
predominantly male field.

I would urge you to go further and also acknowledge that not all women and
not all people outside of the traditionally sanctioned Brahmin community
have found Sanskrit institutions and discourse to be egalitarian and
inclusive, even in today's context. I do hope you can find it possible,
given the process of self-examination and self-criticism you must have
undertaken, to go back and hear what Dr. Kaushal Panwar was narrating, and
to understand the struggles that lie behind what she and so many others
have gone through in the present and in the past.

Eventually I would like to see a rapprochement between Dr. Panwar and the
members of the audience who so rudely interrupted and attacked her (and the
rest of us on the panel) at the WSC. I would expect a retraction of the use
of terminology and nomenclature that is deemed offensive to the
self-respect of social groups that have long faced discrimination,
exclusion and violence in the arena of knowledge and education.

This is the real goal of telling ALL the stories of Sanskrit that are
circulating out there, every one of which has its reality and its
relevance, even though they may be difficult to reconcile sometimes with
one another, given the massive and deep contradictions in our society.
Without mutual respect and the ability to empathise with one another's
different experiences, we cannot live together.

I look forward to a continuing dialogue.

With good wishes,

Ananya Vajpeyi.