[INDOLOGY] How about Vedic accent >>> Re: Various Font's comparison with Vani Vilas

Jan E.M. Houben jemhouben at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 06:05:45 UTC 2019

Does Vani Vilas provide a way to represent Vedic accent as in अ॒ग्निमी॑ळे
पु॒रोहि॑तं ?
Some two decades ago John Smith published (
http://bombay.indology.info/software/fonts/index.html) his fonts Nakula and
Sahadeva, which are
"two TrueType/OpenType Unicode Devanagari fonts. Both contain all the
conjuncts and other ligatures (including Vedic accents) likely to be needed
by Sanskritists."
In my view this is a minimum requirement for a Devanagari font.
The representation of accents in combination with other signs is, however,
not always ideal in Nakula and Sahadeva, for instance svarita in
combination with long i, superscript r etc.
Is there any Unicode Devanagari font that represents Vedic accent and is
there any software to transscribe text with Vedic accent from Unicode
Devanagari to a Unicode roman script (and vice versa)?
Best regards,
Jan Houben

On Thu, 14 Feb 2019 at 21:32, Krishnaprasad G via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Prof Madhav Deshpande Ji
> Thanks a lot for the feedback. Yes, we will work for the conjuncts to make
> it similar to Nirnaya Sagara, and also could you please give an idea about
> the specific conjunct that you are thinking good. Very valuable information
> about the MSS, luckily we can retain both types, that is षट्त्रिंशत् and ta
> going under.
> Could please send the image of the letter from MSS if it is not too hassle
> for you.
> One more thing is we are trying to make both versions, that is with gaps
> between characters and without gaps.
>
> Thanks
> KP
>
> On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 10:24 AM Madhav Deshpande <mmdesh at umich.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> Dear Krishnaprasad Ji,
>>
>>      Both Vani Vilas and Nirnaya Sagara fonts look good, the conjuncts
>> look better in the Nirnaya Sagara font, but you can design them in the Vani
>> Vilas as well.  Great work.  About the conjuncts in Dominik's ṣaṭtriṃśat, I
>> wonder what is the practice in the manuscripts.  I don't remember seeing a
>> conjunct where त or त्र hangs below ट.  In this case, perhaps writing
>> षट्त्रिंशत् may be closer to the practice of the manuscripts.  This needs
>> to be checked, perhaps in the manuscripts of the
>> Ṣaṭtriṃśat-tattva-sandoha.  With best wishes,
>>
>> Madhav M. Deshpande
>> Professor Emeritus
>> Sanskrit and Linguistics
>> University of Michigan
>> [Residence: Campbell, California]
>>

>> On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 7:36 PM Dominik Wujastyk via INDOLOGY <
>> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>>
>>> Looks very good to me. I imagine you'll work on ṣaṭtri-  But everything
>>> else looks really nice.
>>>
>>> --

*Jan E.M. Houben*

Directeur d'Études, Professor of South Asian History and Philology

*Sources et histoire de la tradition sanskrite*

École Pratique des Hautes Études (EPHE, PSL - Université Paris)

*Sciences historiques et philologiques *

54, rue Saint-Jacques, CS 20525 – 75005 Paris

*johannes.houben at ephe.sorbonne.fr <johannes.houben at ephe.sorbonne.fr>*

*johannes.houben at ephe.psl.eu <johannes.houben at ephe.psl.eu>*

*https://ephe-sorbonne.academia.edu/JanEMHouben
<https://ephe-sorbonne.academia.edu/JanEMHouben>*