[INDOLOGY] 'catching the ocean in a cow's hoofprint'

Antonia Ruppel rhododaktylos at gmail.com
Wed Dec 25 17:36:58 UTC 2019

Dear all,

As always, this list does not disappoint: I ask about a small puddle and
immediately receive an ocean's worth of answers. Thank you to everyone who
has taken the time to reply on- and off-list!

Among the off-list replies, I especially also appreciated what Suhas Mahesh
sent me:

"गोष्पदीकृत-वाराशिं मशकीकृत-राक्षसम् ।
रामायण-महामाला-रत्नं वन्दे ऽनिलात्मजम् ।।

This is a dhyāna śloka of the Ramayana, and is very well known to those
within the tradition. गोष्पदीकृत-वाराशिं corresponds very well to catching
the ocean in a hoof print, and I think it might be the saying that Vikram
Chandra is referring to. Perhaps this phrase was used by Vikram Chandra's
source (as Indian scholars often do) in the context of Panini, due to a
mental association with सन्ति पाणिनिगोष्पदे."

Again thank you to all,
     Antonia

Dr Antonia Ruppel
cambridge-sanskrit.org