[INDOLOGY] 'catching the ocean in a cow's hoofprint'

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Mon Dec 23 17:13:25 UTC 2019

It is evident to me that Vikram Chandra has misunderstood the negative
context of the description of Pāṇini's grammar as a goṣpada.  The verse
that I have cited says that Pāṇini's grammar is a goṣpada compared to the
ocean of Indra's grammar.  But he does not cite this verse, and may have
received some second-hand information.

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]