[INDOLOGY] 'catching the ocean in a cow's hoofprint'

Antonia Ruppel rhododaktylos at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 16:11:08 UTC 2019

Dear all,

In the BBC radio series 'Incarnations', the episode on Pāṇini is entitled
'Catching the Ocean in a Cow's Hoofprint', which it says is a description
of what Pāṇini's work achieved.

Can anyone tell me what the source of this expression specifically in
reference to Pāṇini is? Textual/online searches for goṣpada- have not led
me very far - but maybe I've been looking for the wrong word?

(In case anyone doesn't know 'Incarnations' and wants to listen to any of
the episodes: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05rptbv/episodes/downloads)

Many thanks and all the best,
     Antonia

—