Re: [INDOLOGY] Antw: Re: Antw: Noun praṇat

Harry Spier vasishtha.spier at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 23:00:40 UTC 2019

Dear list members,
I have received these two offlist replies that address what Raik Strunz
wrote:
Raik Stunz wrote:
unfortunately I have not come across the word *praṇat*- yet, but it (*
*praṇát*-) might be formed depending on pāda c’s *bhūbhr̥t*- from the
prefixed root-noun *pra-nm̥-t*-, similar to nasal-root compounds e.g. in °
*gat*. Question is indeed, if this nasal derivative is productive.
------------------------------------

Offlist reply:

I think Raik Strunz’s analysis is exactly right. Additional evidence that
he is correct is that Patañjali mentions a form su-na-t- from √nam (cited
in Altindische Grammatik II, 2 p. 42). Such forms are rare, but they occur.
If pra-ṇa-t- is a one-off, which is probably is, again Strunz is surely
right that it is based on bhū-bhṛ-t- in c.

On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 3:40 PM Raik Strunz via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Dear Nagaraj,
>
> regarding
>
> *kalyāṇyai praṇatāṃ vr̥ddhyai siddhyai kurmo namo namaḥ* ।
> *nairr̥tyai bhūbhr̥tāṃ lakṣmyai śarvāṇyai te namo namaḥ* ॥
>
> considering this to be the case,
> what would be the meaning of it,
> resp. what would *praṇatām* then refer to,
> interpreted as a f.acc.sg. participle / verbal adjective in °*ta*?
>
> Best,
> Raik Strunz

-----------------------------------

Other Offlist reply:
I think praṇatāṁ makes sense as a feminine accusative sg form in the sense
of "she who is worshipped for vr̥ddhi and siddhi."  I cannot think of a way
to explain this as a genitive plural.

Also Walter Slaje suggested an emendation:

Since however in Mark-Purāṇa 85.7cd we read:

*namaḥ prakṛtyai bhadrāyai niyatāḥ praṇatāḥ sma tām*,

I suggest a simple emendation *praṇatāḥ* (plural agreeing with plural
*kurmo*), which would result in:

*kalyāṇyai praṇatā vṛddhyai siddhyai kurmo namo namaḥ*

In one word: remove the *anusvāra*-dot. And done.

 A manuscript of the durgasaptasati from the Lalchand Research library has
a different version of this verse (two different words in the phrase with
praṇatāṁ ) but it also has praṇatāṁ not praṇatā (from praṇatāḥ). It has:

Kalyāṇyai praṇatāmṛddhyai siddhyai kūrmyai namo namaḥ/
nairṛtyai bhūbhṛtāṁ lakṣmyai śarvāṇyai te namo namaḥ//11//

Does this not suggest  praṇatām is correct?

Harry Spier