[INDOLOGY] Lithuanian - Sanskrit cognates

Matthew Scarborough matthew.scarborough at cantab.net
Thu Apr 25 18:09:07 UTC 2019

Dear Martin,

I think your best bet for this would be to trawl the indices for Vedic
in a Lithuanian etymological dictionary, or the indices for Lithuanian
in Mayrhofer's _Etymologisches Wörterbuch des Altindoarischen_.

A very good and quite reliable dictionary for Old Lithuanian was
recently published a few years ago:

Hock, Wolfgang, Elvira-Julia Bukevičiūtė, Christiane Schiller, Reiner
Fecht, Anna Helene Feulner, Eugen Hill & Dagmar S. Wodtko (eds) 2015.
_Altlitauisches etymologisches Wörterbuch. Band I: A - M. Band II: N -
Ž. Band III: Verzeichnisse und Indices._ Hamburg: Baar Verlag.

http://www.baar-verlag.com/en/Books/Altlitauisches-etymologisches-Woerterbuch-Old-Lithuanian-Etymological-Dictionary.html

If you can read Polish, also useful and up to date is the following
which includes the contemporary language:
Smoczyński, Wojciech. 2007. _Słownik etymologiczny języka
litewskiego_.Wilno: Uniwersytet Wileński, Wydział Filologiczny.

In English there is also Rick Derksen's recent _Etymological Dictionary
of the Baltic Inherited Lexicon_ which follows the Leiden School of
Indo-European reconstruction:

Derksen, Rick. 2015. _Etymological Dictionary of the Baltic Inherited
Lexicon._ Leiden: Brill.

Hope these suggestions help.

Best wishes,

Matthew

---
Dr. M. J. C. Scarborough

Քանի լեզու գիտես, այնքան մարդ ես։
"Soviele Sprachen du sprichst, soviele Menschen du bist."