Re: [INDOLOGY] Luis O. Gomez Sukhāvatī-vyūha-sūtra translations

Jonathan Silk kauzeya at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 06:10:08 UTC 2019

Dear David
As far as I know--and I tried to find out several times--Luis himself had
no plans to publish whatever he had accomplished, despite my own entreaties
and offers to help. Moreover, while I do not have direct contact with his
widow, it is my understanding that access to the materials he left behind
is not easy.
As far as the smaller sūtra goes, however, I myself will publish something
(let's not get into my promising a date!) which will try to take into
account all available materials, including a reconsideration of the
Sanskrit materials published by Fujita who, however, actually normalized
his texts to a degree that perhaps slightly misrepresents the tradition as
available.
When I have something, I'll let you know.
Best, Jonathan

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 9:08 PM David and Nancy Reigle via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> As many of you know, English translations by the late Luis O. Gomez of
> both the shorter and longer Sukhāvatī-vyūha-sūtras, from Sanskrit, and
> again from Chinese, were published in 1996 by University of Hawai'i Press
> in the book titled, The Land of Bliss. These were what he called his "free"
> translations of these texts. Two more volumes were to come out, giving his
> technical translations of these texts, heavily annotated. Does anyone know
> if these translations were completed? If they still exist? If they will
> ever be published?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Best regards,
>
> David Reigle
> Colorado, U.S.A.

J. Silk
Leiden University
Leiden University Institute for Area Studies, LIAS
Matthias de Vrieshof 3, Room 0.05b
2311 BZ Leiden
The Netherlands

copies of my publications may be found at
https://leidenuniv.academia.edu/JASilk