[INDOLOGY] The title mahāprabhu

Martin Gansten martingansten at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 17:54:53 UTC 2019

I am not sure if there is a good answer to this question, but I would be
interested to hear what people think: what with Caitanya Mahāprabhu of
Bengal, Jagannātha Mahāprabhu (the deity) of Orissa, and, in more recent
times, Swargadwari Mahaprabhu of Nepal (of whom I confess I had never
heard before a web search turned him up), I wonder if mahāprabhu is a
title most prominently found in the (north)-eastern parts of South Asia,
at least before the 20th century? I know there is a 16th-century
Harivaṃśa Mahāprabhu from the Mathura area, founder of the
Rādhāvallabha-sampradāya, but I suspect the use of the epithet in his
case may have been modelled on that of Caitanya.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts,
Martin Gansten