[INDOLOGY] Maitrāyaṇī-Pariśiṣṭa?

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Wed Apr 10 16:32:23 UTC 2019

Dear Colleagues,

     I wonder if anyone has any information regarding a text called
Maitrāyaṇī Pariśīṣṭa.  I came across a reference to this text in a travel
account by a Marathi Brahmin [माझा प्रवास, by विष्णुभटजी गोडसे] around
1857.  In Gwalior, there was a Śāstra discussion about the appropriate
month for Upanayana of a Maitrāyaṇī child, and this text was consulted in
that discussion.  The account says that the Maitrāyaṇī household in Gwalior
followed the traditions of the Gauḍa brahmins.  This interestingly
contrasts with the fight of the Maitrāyaṇī community in Maharashtra to be
counted among Drāviḍa brahmins, something that I have discussed in an
article.

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus
Sanskrit and Linguistics