[INDOLOGY] question about kings poisoned by wives

farkhondeh iran iran_farkhondeh at yahoo.fr
Mon Apr 8 11:06:55 UTC 2019

Dear Jesse,

Arthaśāstra 1.20.16 mentions among others the queen who « killed the king of Kāśī by mixing fried grain with poison under the guise of honey. »

Here is the passage of the AŚ followed by Kangle’s translation:

1.20.16 	lājān madhuneti viṣeṇa paryasya devī kāśīrājam viṣadigdhena nūpureṇa vairantyam mekhalāmaṇinā sauvīram jālūtham ādarśena, veṇyāṃ gūḍhaṃ śastraṃ kṛtvā devī vidūrathaṃ jaghāna.
« The queen killed the king of Kāśī by mixing fried grain with poison under the guise of honey; (the queen killed) Vairantya with an anklet smeared with poison, the king of the Sauvīras with a (poison-smeared) girdle jewel, Jālūtha with a (poison-smeared) mirror; the queen killed Vidūratha by keeping a weapon concealed in the braid of her hair. » (R.P. Kangle, 1972, vol. 2, p. 50).

You might also want to have a look at Kalhaṇa’s Rājataraṅgiṇī 7.685 and 8.1276-1278 where Vidūratha is mentioned (vidūrathādivṛttāntam (…) kelikṣaṇe bruvan (…)). Medhātithi’s commentary on Manu 7.153 mentions anecdotes about kings who were assassinated by queens. I have written a few pages in my PhD dissertation on this topic and I would be happy to share them with you, even though my dissertation is in French.

Kind regards,
Iris Iran Farkhondeh

Iris Iran Farkhondeh
Docteur en Études Indiennes