[INDOLOGY] question

Lubomír Ondračka ondracka at ff.cuni.cz
Sun Apr 7 19:51:46 UTC 2019

See Sternbach's Mahāsubhāṣitasaṁgraha, vol. I, no. 575:

atiparicayād avajñā
saṃtatagamanād anādaro bhavati |
malaye bhillapurandhrī
candanatarum indhanaṃ kurute ||

(with textual variants and sources)

Excessive familiarity breeds contempt, and too frequent visits (to a person) lead to disrespect.
A Bhilla woman [or: a woman-beggar] living on the Malaya Mountain uses sandal-wood as a mere fuel.

Best,
Lubomir