[INDOLOGY] Sexism and Bias on INDOLOGY governing committee

Audrey Truschke audrey.truschke at gmail.com
Sat Apr 6 19:20:53 UTC 2019

Dear Colleagues and Friends,

I disagree that dealing with multiple cases of sexist treatment during the
last year - and being required to keep mute by those who, in my view,
treated me with bias - is not a serious matter (for those who have asked,
please see my earlier notes giving a list of situations and behaviors,
beyond a single case). I disagree even more that attention to such matters
distracts from the larger fight for gender equality. Demanding equal
treatment is not a zero-sum game.

In the meantime, behind the scenes, it has become clear that the INDOLOGY
governing committee is not a safe place for me. I have been told in the
past week that we cannot require bias training (that's bollocks - of course
we can). There remains no grievance procedure or talk of instituting one.
The committee is discussing adding another woman, but probably only one
because a male committee member has expressed discomfort at the thought
that women might outnumber men on the committee. To quote this man: "Gender
parity applies both ways, however. With the current active lineup, we only
need to add *one* female member to give us parity...nothing further needs
to be done."

For me, I choose to no longer contribute to a power structure here on
INDOLOGY that I think is too ugly to overlook, and so I am leaving the
committee and the list. In the end, this conversation has become about far
more than me, and I hope that others continue that larger discussion.

All the Best,

Audrey

Audrey Truschke
Assistant Professor