Re: [INDOLOGY] Why there is no Padapāṭha for this mantra

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Tue Sep 25 04:33:48 UTC 2018

Dear David,

     What you have reported is very worrisome.  After getting hold of the
editions of the Āśvalāyana and Śāṃkhāyana Saṃhitās, I was myself looking
for such details, but many of these details are not provided by the
editors.  So, one does not know to what extent, these editions faithfully
reflect the texts found in the source manuscripts and to what extend the
text found in the manuscripts has been "normalized" by the editors.  A
careful researcher may need to return to the source manuscripts to check
the facts.

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus
Sanskrit and Linguistics