[INDOLOGY] Garuda's resolution

Christophe Vielle christophe.vielle at uclouvain.be
Thu Sep 13 15:45:06 UTC 2018

Dear Artur

I would not take ajanam as an adj. depending of [tvām = Garudam] but as a neutral subst. = a desert [place], a [place] devoid of people. Indeed if the serpents are immortals and poison all the people, it will be the case. See the same interpretation by J. Charpentier Die Suparṇasage p. 269-270 (making also the // with the MBh 1,30.7) :

https://archive.org/stream/diesuparnasageun00charuoft#page/270

"da werden sie Menschenleere bewirken"

In the MBh, I understand that "they would expel us" (it is Indra who speaks) = the gods (normal, since by loosing the amrta they would lose their overlordship).

Best,

Christophe

> [...]
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Artur Karp

> The snakes (to whom Garuḍa is ready to bring the stolen Soma).
> See the story as told in the late Vedic metrical play Suparṇādhyāya, sūkta 14, varga 28, v. 10,
> ed. and transl. Gaya Charan Tripathi (New Delhi: Nat.Mis.Mss and DKPrintworld, 2016), pp. 252 (critically restored text), 295 (transl.)
> induṃ cet sarpāḥ pāsyanti tvayā dattaṃ vihaṅgama |
> ajanaṃ te kariṣyanti tan na sādhu bhaviṣyati ||10||
> [Indra to Garuḍa]
> “In case the snakes [are allowed to] drink the Soma (= amṛtam) [bought by you and] given to them, [[o Bird]], they will make a clean sweep of all human beings [on earth]. This [surely] wouldn't be nice.”
> And in sūkta 15, varga 29, v. 6, Indra turning to Garuḍa (who has visited the serpents, but has not given them the Sma):
> “I have excelled all my ennemies in might. Because of my might I am all in this (i.e. overlord of this) world. How did you [dare to] take away by force the Soma which is pressed [especially] for such a mightier than mighty [person] like me.”
> So one can infer that the soma provides this almightiness.
>
>> Le 11 sept. 2018 à 21:14, Artur Karp via INDOLOGY <indology at list.indology.info <mailto:indology at list.indology.info>> a écrit :
>>
>> Dear List Memebers,
>>
>> First of all: my thanks to all who gave me their time and answered my query - preventing me from commiting a grave error. To Roland Steiner, Hans Henrich Hock, David and Nancy Reigle, Tracy Coleman.
>>
>> Now, my second question ---
>>
>> In Mbh I, 30.7c-e Indra says (to Garuda):
>>
>> 01.030.007c na kāryaṃ tava somena mama somaḥ pradīyatām
>> 01.030.007e asmāṃs te hi prabādheyur yebhyo dadyād bhavān imam
>>
>> VanBuitenen 1973: 90: "If you have no need for the soma, return the soma to me. For those to whom you may give it will forever best us".
>>
>> [ad 'best':  Monier-Williams has several other - sort of 'sharper' - meanings for pra-bādh: to repel, drive away, keep off (Mbh); to torment, vex, hurt, injure, annoy.
>>
>> By the way - Kalyanov (I value his pioneering translation immensely) 1950: 103: "Yesli ty ne nameren vospol'zovat'sya somoy, to day yeyo mne. Ibo te, kotorym sobirayesh'sya dat' yeyo, budut vredit' nam". 'Budut vredit' nam' - 'shall injure us'; no 'forever'.]
>>
>> Whom the myth makers may have in mind when they speak about those who "will forever best us"?
>>
>> I'd be grateful if the comments were directed to the List, not to my private e-mail address.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Artur Karp (M.A.)
>> Senior Lecturer in Sanskrit and Pali (ret.)
>> South Asian Studies Department
>> University of Warsaw

>> Dear List,
>>
>> In Mbh I, 30.8 b Garuda says:
>>
>> na dāsyāmi samādātuṃ somaṃ kasmaicidapyaham