Re: [INDOLOGY] Paṭhanārtha and vācanārtha

jacob at fabularasa.dk jacob at fabularasa.dk
Thu Sep 13 12:36:51 UTC 2018

Thanks to everybody who responded to my query on and off list. It has
been most helpful and much appreciated.

For those of you who might be interested, Rolf Heinrich Koch pointed me
to a footnote by Phyllis Granoff wherein she translates paṭhanārtha as
"private study" and vācanārtha as "public preaching" in the context of a
colophon to a Jaina manuscript.

Best,
Jacob