[INDOLOGY] Sanskrit can tackle climate change

Geoffrey Samuel SamuelG at cardiff.ac.uk
Wed Sep 12 10:15:38 UTC 2018

Surely Nagaraj has made it quite clear that, whatever the precise wording of his sentence, he did not intend to affirm that Sanskrit can tackle climate change.

I think he has also made it clear that he does not wish to affirm categorically that Sanskrit (whatever we might mean here by Sanskrit) cannot assist in tackling climate change. That seems to me a perfectly reasonable position.

I don’t see what purpose is served by trying to insist that his words mean something other than what he clearly intends. It’s not a particularly edifying or constructive spectacle.

I think too that we should avoid assuming that all Indian scholars who criticise Western presuppositions are mindless adherents of RSS or Hindutva propaganda. The situation is more complicated and more nuanced both in India and in Western academia. Can we not be a little more respectful of each other, even when we disagree?

Geoffrey Samuel