[INDOLOGY] Scientification in India

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 17:39:57 UTC 2018

Thanks , Prof. Jan E M Houben, for reminding the scholars on the list that

Basic ethics in *modern* anthropology, not necessarily in 19th cent.
anthropology and indology, requires that "objects" of our research should
get a chance to give their own feedback on our conclusions (and, obviously,
in their own preferred language).

I am glade to read,

"
 I am the first to have made these observations, whether one wants to agree
with them or modify or reject them, accessible in Sanskrit -- fair enough,
after ca. 250 years of excluding Sanskrit pandits from our discussions and
"siddhāntas" about them:
https://www.academia.edu/5066874
भारतीयपश्चिममण्डलयोः शास्त्ररीतिविषय आत्मभेदो वा संतोलनभेदो वा वर्तते । तथा
ह्याह रुद्यर्द् किप्लिङ् । प्राची हि प्राची पश्चिमा च पश्चिमेति (टिप. 16) ।
अत्र मम श्लोकस्य उपन्यासः ।
आत्मभेदस्तयोरस्ति  मन्यन्ते किप्लिङादयः ।
संतोलनात्मको भेद  इङ्गल्स्-स्ताल्-भ्यां तु दृश्यते ॥
'

On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 4:41 PM, Jan E.M. Houben via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Obrigado!
> This one was missing in my collection.
> Several mentions and discussions of the alleged parallelism
> Euclid:Europe is appr. Panini:(classical) India exist, in French (by  the
> brilliant German indologist August Wilhelm von Schlegel 1832), in Dutch
> (Staal 1963) and English (Ingalls, Staal, Bronkhorst), but I believe I am
> the first to have made these observations, whether one wants to agree with
> them or modify or reject them, accessible in Sanskrit -- fair enough, after
> ca. 250 years of excluding Sanskrit pandits from our discussions and
> "siddhāntas" about them:
> https://www.academia.edu/5066874
> भारतीयपश्चिममण्डलयोः शास्त्ररीतिविषय आत्मभेदो वा संतोलनभेदो वा वर्तते ।
> तथा ह्याह रुद्यर्द् किप्लिङ् । प्राची हि प्राची पश्चिमा च पश्चिमेति (टिप.
> 16) । अत्र मम श्लोकस्य उपन्यासः ।
> आत्मभेदस्तयोरस्ति  मन्यन्ते किप्लिङादयः ।
> संतोलनात्मको भेद  इङ्गल्स्-स्ताल्-भ्यां तु दृश्यते ॥
> Basic ethics in *modern* anthropology, not necessarily in 19th cent.
> anthropology and indology, requires that "objects" of our research should
> get a chance to give their own feedback on our conclusions (and, obviously,
> in their own preferred language).
> Cheers,
> JH
>

> On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 at 11:43, Antonio Ferreira-Jardim <
> antonio.jardim at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear Prof Houben,
>>
>> Please find a pdf here: http://eprints.nias.res.in/435/
>>
>> Long live D(e)utch Indology!
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Antonio
>>

>> On Tue., 11 Sep. 2018, 7:38 pm Jan E.M. Houben via INDOLOGY, <
>> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Axel,
>>> I look forward to the final version of your contribution of which I
>>> heard a fascinating presentation in Delhi in November 2015. As you know,
>>> Frits Staal first expanded the concept of "science" beyond the narrow
>>> confines of "natural sciences" in order not just to include "human
>>> sciences" but also to go beyond the division between these and the natural
>>> sciences; next he showed how "India" contributed, at an early date,
>>> significantly and foremost to this "science" in a broadened sense, esp. to
>>> ritual science and linguistic science. Current "scientifications" as in the
>>> mentioned brochure, however, neglect India's contributions in ritual
>>> science (kalpa) and linguistic science (grammar, vyakarana) except for
>>> marginally mentioning phonetics: taking the narrow concept of "(natural,
>>> including, at the most, medical) science" as main reference point they make
>>> every effort to find "relevant" statements in ancient Indian literature
>>> (for Ayurveda only Sanskrit texts are considered, Siddha texts in Tamil are
>>> neglected; for other knowledge systems I am not aware of serious
>>> "Dravidian" counterclaims).
>>> In this context a question to all list members, does anyone have a scan
> [...]

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra

BoS, Chinmaya Vishwavidyapeeth, Veliyanad, Kerala

(Pune, Maharashtra, INDIA )