[INDOLOGY] 'sma' in Cambodian inscription

Hock, Hans Henrich hhhock at illinois.edu
Thu Sep 6 00:52:14 UTC 2018

Dear McComas,

Your colleague might consult works like Kale’s Higher Sanskrit grammar … Like others, he notes that sma ‘is generally used as an expletive’ (beside its use with present-tense verbs to indicate past tense), and he notes a special use with mā, for which he actually gives an example (from the Rāmayaṇa): mā sma śoke manaḥ kṛthāḥ ‘do not turn your mind to sorrow’. So there is a wide use of sma in Classical Sanskrit beyond that as indicating past tense. Note also (from the Nalopākhyānam) tatra gacchanti rājāno rājaputraś ca sarvaśaḥ || tāṁ ratnabhūtāṁ lokasya prārthayatno mahīkṣitaḥ | kāṅkṣanti sma viśeṣeṇa …, where gacchanti (w/o sma) and kāṅkṣanti sma are parallel and hence presumably both in the (historical) present, without any need for assuming specific past-tense value for sma.

Best wishes,

Hans Henrich