[INDOLOGY] Request for commentaries on YS

David and Nancy Reigle dnreigle at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 19:00:32 UTC 2018

 Dear Dhaval Patel,

If you just want to get an idea of what is in the various commentaries, any
edition will do. But if you need to do serious research, commentaries that
are well edited and accurately printed are necessary. In the case of the Vyāsa
commentary, several editions are available. About the early editions, here
is what James Haughton Woods wrote in the Preface to his 1914 English
translation (p. xi):

"The most accessible and the most carefully elaborated of these books is
the one published in the Ānandāçrama Series and edited by Kāçīnātha Shāstrī
Āgāçe. Variants from twelve manuscripts, mostly southern, are printed at
the foot of each page; and Bhojadeva's Vṛtti is appended; also the text of
the sūtras by itself and an index thereto. Another edition, in the Bombay
Sanskrit Series, by Rājarām Shāstrī Bodas, is also an excellent piece of
work. I have, however, made use of the edition by Svāmi Bālarāma (Calcutta,
Saṁvat 1947, A.D. 1890; reprinted in Benares A.D. 1908) because it is based
on northern manuscripts and because of the valuable notes in the editor's
*ṭippaṇa*."

The edition by Svāmi Bālarāma was very hard to find. I finally had a friend
make a photocopy of the 1908 reprint at the Harvard University Library,
apparently the copy previously used by Woods. The Ānandāśrama Series
edition has been reprinted several times, but the reprints are re-typeset,
introducing new typographical errors. So I photocopied the original 1904
edition at the University of Chicago Library. The original 1892 Bombay
Sanskrit Series edition was also hard to find in North America, but I was
able to photocopy it from the American Oriental Society Library at the Yale
University Library. Scans of all three are posted here, along with a few
other commentaries on the Yogasūtras:
http://prajnaquest.fr/blog/sanskrit-texts-3/sanskrit-hindu-texts/

Since the Ānandāśrama Series edition was edited by Kāśīnātha Śāstrī Āgāśe
from twelve manuscripts, giving variant readings in footnotes, it is in
effect a critical edition. However, the first critical edition that was
called such is that by Vimala Karnatak, *Pātañjala-Yoga-Darśanam*, four
volumes, Varanasi: Banaras Hindu University & Ratna Publications, 1992. It
includes the commentaries by Vyāsa, Vācaspati-miśra, and Vijñāna-bhikṣu. It
also includes her own Hindi exposition.

More recently the first volume of a critical edition by Philipp Maas was
published: *Samādhipāda: das erste Kapitel des Pātañjalayogaśāstra* * zum
ersten Mal kritish ediert = The first chapter of the Pātañjalayogaśāstra* *
for the first time critically edited*, Aachen: Shaker, 2006. This is a very
thorough critical edition of the Yogasūtras and Vyāsa's commentary,
together forming the *Pātañjalayogaśāstra*, using all available sources. We
anxiously await further volumes of this definitive critical edition.

Best regards,

David Reigle
Colorado, U.S.A.