[INDOLOGY] Mbh stratification

Joydeep jbagchee at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 17:56:11 UTC 2018

Can you share a pre-print version of your paper, Oliver? I’m interested in
the developmental hypotheses you propose for these findings. When you write
“not too far away from some outcomes of philological research” I presume
you mean von Simson (1968/1969) (cited in your 2017 paper). But even if
your results are close, it cannot vindicate von Simson’s work as
“philological research.” It only demonstrates the failure of
text-historical philology as it unfolded from Lassen to von Simson, since a
a different science and technology, i.e., computer science and information
technology, was required. The success of psychopharmacology does not
vindicate phrenology as a science. Results acquired through prejudice,
chance, or ideology are not scientific results, and the development of a
posterior science cannot confer scientificity on them. Finally, we cannot
referee past Mahābhārata scholarship without attention to its historical
context. Here I recommend looking at *The Nay Science*for von Simson’s
reliance on Holtzmann’s “inversion hypothesis” and on Lassen’s thesis of a
war epic before its “Brahmanic” corruption. I have uploaded the section
here: http://www.academia.edu/37681318. Also, to bring this discussion,
which Jan Houben began, full circle, see this link for Irawati Karve:
http://manufacturingrace.org/3-researchers. We simply cannot go forward
with philology unless we acknowledge the problems with previous scholarship.

Dr. Joydeep Bagchee
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München
Academia.edu Homepage <https://fu-berlin.academia.edu/JoydeepBagchee>

The Nay Science
<http://global.oup.com/academic/product/the-nay-science-9780199931361;jsessionid=94DFF6B197750DBE7C7E64A4FB8B28D2?cc=de&lang=en&>
Argument and Design
<http://www.brill.com/products/book/argument-and-design-unity-mahabharata>
Reading the Fifth Veda <http://www.brill.com/reading-fifth-veda>
When the Goddess Was a Woman <http://www.brill.com/when-goddess-was-woman>
Transcultural Encounters between Germany and India
<http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9780415844697/>
German Indology on OBO Hinduism
<http://www.oxfordbibliographies.com/view/document/obo-9780195399318/obo-9780195399318-0147.xml>
What, then, is Philosophy?