[INDOLOGY] Concerning the International Association of Sanskrit Studies

Veeranarayana Pandurangi veerankp at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 17:47:49 UTC 2018

once sentence reads  "There have evidently been changes in the leadership
(now reflected in their website <http://www.sanskritassociation.org/>), "
most prominently it is the absence of President there. what happened to
Prof. Kutumba Shastriji? is he removed  (because of.....??) or resigned
himself?

there is also an absence of regional director from India.

there are many members of IASS here. Can anybody clarify?

On Sat, Nov 17, 2018 at 12:56 AM Andrew Ollett via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Dear list members,
>
> Since the letter that many of you signed was presented and publicized on
> this list, I thought I would be remiss not to give its members an update on
> further developments. The IASS leadership has responded point-by-point, and
> their response has been passed onto the signatories. It has clarified some
> existing IASS policies, reaffirmed its commitment to scholarship and
> neutrality, and noted some changes in the organization. There have
> evidently been changes in the leadership (now reflected in their website
> <http://www.sanskritassociation.org/>), and the IASS is forming a
> committee to address the question of elections for office bearers, which
> was one of the main points of the letter. I can only speak for myself here,
> but I was reassured by the response, and I took it as an invitation to
> scholars of Sanskrit to get involved and shape the future of the
> organization.
>
> Andrew
>
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 10:21 AM Andrew Ollett <andrew.ollett at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Dear list-members and colleagues,
>>
>> This is just a note that the letter which so many of you have signed has
>> now been finalized and delivered to the board of the IASS, its regional
>> directors, and its consultative committee. The complete text and list of
>> signatories is pasted below. A pdf version is also available here
>> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/p4p0fnycbfrqgse/IASSLetter.pdf?dl=0>. I
>> sincerely hope that I have not omitted or misspelled anyone's name. We all
>> await their response.
>>
>> Andrew
>>
>> ========================
>>
>> Thursday, Oct. 25, 2018
>>

>> To the International Association of Sanskrit Studies:
>>
>> The extremely well-organized World Sanskrit Conference that recently took
>> place at the University of British Columbia has given scholars of Sanskrit
>> all over the world an opportunity to reflect on the state of our field—an
>> opportunity that was, unfortunately, missed after the controversial events
>> of the preceding World Sanskrit Conference in Bangkok. According to its
>> Statute <http://www.sanskritassociation.org/about-us.php>, the purpose
>> of the International Association of Sanskrit Studies (IASS) is to “to
>> promote, diversify, intensify and coordinate Sanskrit Studies in all the
>> countries of the world; to maintain contacts with the organising committee
>> of the International Congresses of Asian and North African Studies; to
>> organise international conferences of Sanskrit studies; to promote
>> scholarly publication of Sanskrit-based studies; to establish and foster
>> relations with national associations of Sanskrit studies.”
>>
>> We, the undersigned, believe that the IASS could do much more to
>> “promote, diversify, intensify and coordinate Sanskrit Studies in all the
>> countries of the world.” Taking this mission statement seriously would
> [...]

Veeranarayana N.K. Pandurangi
Director of Academics
Dean, Faculty of Vedantas
Karnakata Samskrita University,
Pampa Mahakavi Road,
Chamarajpet, Bengaluru.

अथ चेत्त्वमिमं धर्म्यं संग्रामं न करिष्यसि। ततः स्वधर्मं कीर्तिं च हित्वा
पापमवाप्स्यसि।।
तस्मादुत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिश्चयः। निराशीर्निर्ममो भूत्वा युध्यस्व
विगतज्वरः।। (भ.गी.)

http://www.ksu.ac.in
http://www.ksu.ac.in/en/dr-veeranarayana-n-k-pandurangi/
<https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups#!forum/bvparishat>