[INDOLOGY] South Asia Books

Dan Lusthaus prajnapti at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 02:44:11 UTC 2018

South Asia Books was cutting back on displaying at conferences even while Jerry was still alive. He was having medical problems, and the price of shipping, booths, etc. were escalating, so not worth his time and effort. Also, when India raised the tariffs on books sold abroad, that severely cut into his profit margin, so that books that previously sold for a happily affordable $15 or less, suddenly could cost $60 or more. Jerry stopped coming to the Madison South Asia conference, etc., but after his death his successors were still coming to the AAR, but little else. The “store” in Columbia, Missouri was basically their warehouse, with a counter up front. One could roam the high stacks seeking the books one wanted, or try to order them from India at the counter. If that is closed and abandoned, then the operation has been disbanded.

Their website no longer exists, which, along with the loss of the warehouse, seem to be the definitive signs.

It’s a shame. South Asia Books was also generous with discounts, especially for students.

Dan