[INDOLOGY] brick-making communities

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Wed Nov 7 01:22:46 UTC 2018

Hi Dominik,

     In Pune, there was a large colony of brick makers with lots of kilns
and piles of bricks in various stages of preparation at the foot of the
Parvati hill.  At some relatively recent time [probably two/three decades
ago], because of the growth of the residential areas, that entire colony
was moved somewhere else, and that land became occupied by new residential
buildings.  There must be extensive records in the administrative
departments of Pune City Corporation [पुणे महानगरपालिका].  I am sure the
brick-making business has not gone away, only that it was moved to a new
location.  Our Pune friends like Saroja Bhate and Shrikant Bahulkar may be
able to provide more current information.

Madhav

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus
Sanskrit and Linguistics