[INDOLOGY] On Sanskrit in the USA

Eli Franco franco at uni-leipzig.de
Thu May 31 11:09:31 UTC 2018

That article was a bit one-sided. Here is a response from one of
Granoff's students:

LETTER 04.19
The Yale Daily News	Apr 18, 2018

On “Yale’s last Sanskrit expert to leave”

“Yale’s last Sanskrit expert to leave” is plain wrong. In order to be
right it minimizes the work of Phyllis Granoff, a religious studies
professor, to the point of erasure. Far beyond “proficient,” Granoff’s
linguistic mastery is legendary among Sanskritists worldwide. At Yale
she revived premodern South Asia and continues to train a vital cohort
of scholars.

The article seems too busy lamenting the loss of Yale’s historic
“reputation” in Sanskrit to ask: Why has Salisbury’s chair sat vacant
since Stanley Insler’s retirement some seven years ago? A question for
Linguistics, not Religious Studies. Inaugurated for Sanskrit and
Arabic, this chair won fame through William Dwight Whitney, when
rededicated to Sanskrit and Comparative Philology in 1869.
Accordingly, for nearly five decades, Insler taught Sanskrit within
the comparative study of languages — from proto-Indo-European to Old
Norse. Currently, Linguistics has turned from this
philological-historical project to a presentist, computational model,
reflecting broader shifts in that field. Even if the department
enthusiastically pursued his replacement, it would struggle to find a
scholar today with Insler’s skills.

If we want Sanskrit to continue at Yale, we had better spend more time
getting our arguments straight rather than courting disparagement from
non-Yale faculty members whose mansplaining comments are best not
given published validation.

Sanskrit succeeds as a site of comparative interest. In Granoff’s
hands, it’s but one of many languages for art, ritual, narrative and
philosophy. To that extent to call her — or Insler —a “mere”
Sanskrititst would be a disservice. That is exactly why Sanskrit has
thrived at Yale in their care.

Marko Geslani, GRD ’1