[INDOLOGY] Spaces between words in Sanskrit manuscripts?

Charles DiSimone disimone at alumni.stanford.edu
Wed May 16 18:16:46 UTC 2018

Hi all,

To quickly add to Camillo's statement, non-application of external sandhi
is a common (but not standardized) form of punctuation in Gilgit area
manuscripts, for example.

All best,
Charles

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 6:15 PM, Camillo Formigatti via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> The use of word dividers is very widespread in manuscripts from Northern
> India and Nepal in general—for instance, it is developed to a high degree
> of exactness in Jaina manuscripts. As to the use of blank spaces between
> words, my impression is that blank spaces were used to separate syntactic
> units in prose or verses already early on, but not for single words
> systematically.
>

> Best wishesm
>

> Camillo
>

> ------------------------------
>

> Dr Camillo A. Formigatti
>
> John Clay Sanskrit Librarian
>

> Bodleian Libraries
>
> The Weston Library
>
> Broad Street, Oxford
>
> OX1 3BG
>

> Email: camillo.formigatti at bodleian.ox.ac.uk
>
> Tel. (office): 01865 (2)77208
> www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk
>

> *GROW YOUR MIND*
>
> in Oxford University’s
>
> Gardens, Libraries and Museums
>
> www.mindgrowing.org

Dr. des. Charles DiSimone | Research Scholar
Buddhist Digital Resource Center 佛教数字资源中心
tbrc.org