[INDOLOGY] Spaces between words in Sanskrit manuscripts?

Andrew Ollett andrew.ollett at gmail.com
Tue May 15 05:01:38 UTC 2018

Some of the Prakrit manuscripts I've seen---most relatively recent, but
nevertheless pre-print---separate words in the Prakrit text with a dot or
with small daṇḍa-like marks above the line (the latter may have been added
subsequently). Words aren't separated in the accompanying Sanskrit
commentaries to these texts.

There are spaces between (some) words in most versions of Asoka's pillar
edicts, but I'm not sure how frequent interword spacing is in later
inscriptions, if it happens at all.