Re: [INDOLOGY] Association between nāḍīs and dvāras within Jainism?

Lubomír Ondračka ondracka at ff.cuni.cz
Thu May 10 20:38:30 UTC 2018

Dear Jacob,

I cannot help you with Jaina yoga texts, but in haṭhayoga texts the association of nāḍīs with dvāras is quite common. Or, to be more precise, most of the HY texts only list the main nāḍīs (usually ten or fourteen), but some of them provide more details about their position. One of these systems (with 14 nāḍīs) is described in the Vasiṣṭhasaṃhitā 2.34–40, where the link of nāḍīs with dvāras is as follows:

1/ kuhūḥ: āmeḍhrāntaṃ
2/ piṅgalā: yāmye nāsāntaṃ
3/ pūṣā: yāmye netrāntraṃ
4/ payasvinī: yāmye karṇāntam
5/ sarasvatī: ājihvāyāḥ
6/ śaṅkhinī: āsavyakarṇād
7/ gāndhārī: savyanetrāntam
8/ iḍā: savyanāsāntaṃ
9/ alambuṣā: pāyumūlād
The same verses are in Yogayājñavalkya 4.39–45  (Divanji ed.) and similar system is e.g. in the compendium Haṭhatattvakaumudī 23.15–18.

More texts describe ten main nāḍīs, e.g. Śivasvarodaya (Lonavla ed.) 38–40:
iḍā vāme sthitā bhāge piṅgalā dakṣiṇe smṛtā |
suṣumnā madhyadeśe tu gāndhārī vāmacakṣuṣi ‖38‖
dakṣiṇe hastijihvā ca pūṣā karṇe ca dakṣiṇe |
yaśasvinī vāmakarṇe ānane cāpy alaṃbuṣā ‖39‖
kuhūś ca liṅgadeśe tu mūlasthāne tu śaṅkhinī |
evaṃ dvāraṃ samāśritya tiṣṭhanti daśa nāḍikāḥ ‖40‖
= Gorakṣaśataka 29–31 (Nowotny ed.) etc.; slightly different system is in Śarṅgadharapaddhati 4309–4312.

Many of these verses are used in various Yogopaniṣads, e.g.:
Darśanopaniṣad 4.13–22
Yogacūḍāmaṇyupaniṣad 18–21
Brahmayogin on Śāṇḍilyopaniṣad 1.10
cf. also Jābāladarśanopaniṣad 3.7–22.

Outside the yoga texts, several later tantras make this connection too, see e.g. Ahirbudhnyasaṃhitā 32.24–30.

Thus it seems that in various Hindu yoga systems the association of nāḍīs with dvāras was common. This, however, does not mean anything for Jaina yoga. A few Jaina texts I am familiar with (e.g. Hemacandra's Yogaśāstra or Haribhadra's Yogadṛṣṭisamuccaya) do not describe system of nāḍīs. I would recommend you to check Hemacandra's autocommentary on his Yogaśāstra (Svopajñavivaraṇa) - this is a great treasure of Jaina yoga concepts.

Best,
Lubomir