[INDOLOGY] Date of the Tolkappiyam

Tieken, H.J.H. H.J.H.Tieken at hum.leidenuniv.nl
Mon May 7 15:02:12 UTC 2018

I always thought that on this list ad hominem remarks are not permitted. Therefore I am amazed that Jean-Luc Chevillard's mail has passed the moderators. I refer to the sentence "It is indeed an opinion current among those who have not read Tolkāppiyam", by which Jan Houben is set aside and disqualified to express an idea about the origin of the title Tolkāppiyam. All this, only to get rid of the word kāvya in the name Tolkāppiyam. Strictly speaking this move is not even necessary, that is, unnecessary for those who claim an early date of Caṅkam poetry, as the word kāvya is almost certainly older than the 9th century; see Stephanie Jamison, The Rig Veda Between Two Worlds, p. 144.
The type of argument used by Chevillard is typical of many Tamil scholars: about me (and not only about me but also to my face, in Pondichery and at JNU) they say that I do not know Tamil, for if I knew I would not date Caṅkam that late.
Here I stop, this is my last mail in this particular thread.
Herman

Herman Tieken
Stationsweg 58
2515 BP Den Haag