[INDOLOGY] Launch of the Journal of Yoga Studies (JoYS)

Elizabeth De Michelis e.demichelis at ymail.com
Tue May 1 19:13:45 UTC 2018

(with apologies for any cross-posting)

Dear List Members,
I am delighted to announce the official launch of the Journal of Yoga Studies or JoYS.

I and the other founding members (Jason Birch,  Matthew Clark, Jacqueline Hargreaves and Suzanne Newcombe) have been working very hard over the last 18 months in order to bring this publication to fruition.

Please find the Journal description below (copied from the website). You will find further information in the inaugural Editorial. The first two articles (by Philip Deslippe and Seth Powell) were uploaded today.

Please note also the launch events (poster in ANNOUNCEMENTS) due to take place next week in Kyoto, London and Delhi.

I take this chance to thank all the colleagues, institutions and friends who have supported and continue to support this project. I also want to extend a special 'thank you' to members of JoYS' Adisory and Editorial Boards.

We hope that you will find our Journal of interest! We look forward to high quality, engaging submissions.

Please feel free to spread the word.
With best regards,

Elizabeth De Michelis
(JoYS Senior Editor and Administration Manager)

The Journal of Yoga Studies (JoYS) is a peer-reviewed, open access e-journal committed to publishing the highest quality academic research and critical discussions on all topics related to the study of all forms of yoga, from ancient to contemporary, across multiple humanities and social sciences disciplines. Authors will retain copyright of their articles.

JoYS aims to serve the needs of this emerging field of study by offering a forum for reporting on research findings, discoveries, theoretical discussions and critical debates in the field, and for disseminating critical editions, translations, book reviews and other key reference materials.

As the ‘study of Yoga’ is a broad and varied subject, the scope of JoYS is inclusive of all forms of rigorous intellectual activity including but not limited to Religious Studies, Modern, Medieval and Classical History of South Asia, Indology, Philology, Philosophy, Anthropology, Sociology, Political Studies, Literature and Arts.

To start with, papers will be published on a rolling-basis throughout the year in electronic form only (downloadable PDF). A yearly collection of papers will form a single volume of JoYS. On occasion, a number of papers may be gathered together under a specific thematic heading (article sets).

The scope of JoYS is limited only by the expertise of its editors and peer-reviewers. Guest editors may be invited to oversee the production of a JoYS article set themed towards a specific topic or subject of interest.

JoYS published its two inaugural articles on 1st May 2018.