[INDOLOGY] Ohio U's Maharashtra-based Summer Program Deadline Extended Until March 15

Collins, Brian collinb1 at ohio.edu
Sun Mar 4 22:39:45 UTC 2018

Dear List,

We have extended the deadline for applications to our program based in Umarkhed, Maharashtra (July 1-Aug 1) until March 15, so please pass this along to any students who may be interested/

Students will have the chance to explore gender in the cultural, religious, and social context of contemporary rural India. They will learn about the interconnectedness of Indian religion, society, and history through lectures, readings, and group excursions to some of the most significant religious sites venerated by Hindus, Muslims, Buddhists, and Sikhs.

Instruction will take place in the main rooms of the guest house with exception to the final cultural program that will be at the large lecture hall on campus. Successful completion of this program will earn 9 credit hours from the courses below:

  *   WGSS 4900: Gender and Development in Cultural Context (3cr)
  *   WGSS 4900: The Experience of Gender in Cross Cultural Perspective (3cr)
  *   CLWR 4900: Religious Traditions of India (3cr)

Work from these courses comes together in a service learning experience in which our students team up with Gawande College conversation partners as a way of exploring the lived experiences of gender, religious identity, caste, and class.
There will also be short visits to local mosques and temples and day-long excursions to:

  *   Sri Renuka Devi Mandir in Mahur, a temple dedicated to the goddess Renuka
  *   Hazur Sahib in Nanded, one of the five sacred sites of Sikhism
  *   Sevagram Ashram in Wardha, the site of Gandhi’s last years
  *   An Indian village
  *   Overnight trip to the Buddhist caves of Ahanta and Ellora, UNESCO World Heritage Sites near Aurangabad

Registration closes March 15th, so apply today!
https://webapps.ohio.edu/eais/student/index.cfm

Best,

Asst. Prof. Brian Collins
Drs. Ram and Sushila Gawande Chair in Indian Religion and Philosophy
N282 Lindley Hall
Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701
740-597-2103