[INDOLOGY] Summer Language Intensives and Year-long Postbaccalaureate Program in Language and Translation Studies at the Mangalam Research Center for Buddhist Languages in Berkeley

Alexander von Rospatt rospatt at berkeley.edu
Sat Mar 3 22:20:15 UTC 2018

Dear Collleagues,
please take note of the
Summer Language Intensives
Year-long Postbaccalaureate Program in Language and Translation Studies
offered by the Mangalam Research Center for Buddhist Languages in Berkeley for 2018-2019 (which I post here on behal of its director, Jack Petranker)

Many thanks, Alexander von Rospatt (UC Berkeley)

Summer Language Intensive

>From June 25 - August 17, we will offer our seventh annual summer language intensives in classical Tibetan and classical Sanskrit. These 8-week programs are intended to prepare students to enter an intermediate level (2nd year graduate-level) course in the language of their choice. They meet four days a week and require a full-time commitment. Classes are small, with ample opportunity for personalized instruction.

Post-Baccalaureate Program in Buddhist Languages and Translation Studies

The year-long Postbaccalaureate Program is designed for students who are planning to go on to graduate school in Buddhist studies or related fields. It emphasizes language study. A student who completes the program will have the equivalent of two years of graduate-level study in either classical Sanskrit or classical Tibetan. The program also will also offer training in Buddhist Studies and Translation Methods and a Postbaccalaureate Seminar, helping to prepare students for a successful academic career.

The program starts with the Summer Language Intensive, followed by a two semester program that runs from late August through early May.

The syllabus for the Post-Baccalaureate Program was designed by Luis Gómez, who was MRC’s Academic Director until his passing last year, in consultation with our Board of Advisors.

The deadline for applications is May 4, 2018. Partial tuition waivers may be available.

Interested applicants can learn more on the MRC website <http://www.mangalamresearch.org/post-baccalaureate-program/> or contact programs at mangalamresearch.org <mailto:programs at mangalamresearch.org>.

Jack Petranker, Director
Mangalam Research Center for Buddhist Languages
jackp at mangalamresearch.org <mailto:jackp at mangalamresearch.org>