[INDOLOGY] Sanskrit grammatical terms

Matthew Kapstein mkapstei at uchicago.edu
Wed Jun 20 10:53:47 UTC 2018

Dear Andrew,

You write that:

"thematic" and "athematic" in the usage of most European grammars simply mean "ending in -a" and "not ending in -a," which is captured in traditional Sanskrit grammar by "at" (see 7.2.80 and 81), or "adanta-" if you like to be more explicit....

Here is what Abhyankar, A Dictionary of Sanskrit Grammar, p. 13, has to say about adanta:

"ending with the short vowel a ... a term applied to nouns of that kind, and roots of the tenth conjugation..."

This is surely not what the 19th c. grammarians had in mind in dividing the Skt. verb system according to the categories of thematic and athematic (none of them would have spoken of deva- as "a thematic noun"!)

It seems a good example of Victor Davella's point about mixing up the terminology of differing systems.

best,

Matthew

Matthew Kapstein
Directeur d'études,
Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes

Numata Visiting Professor of Buddhist Studies,
The University of Chicago